The Responsibilities of a Chaplain
1. The first responsibility is to God. - A chaplain must have a personal relationship with God. He/she must be committed to following Jesus Christ and to serve God. He must be firm in his/her faith and live a holy, sanctified life.
2. The second responsibility To our families. - a chaplain must lead a holy and righteous life, meet the needs of the family in accordance with the will of God. A chaplain must treat parents, siblings, spouse and children as precious. We must love our families as Christ loves the church.
3. The third responsibility is to our church. - A chaplain must be willing to submit to the authority of the pastors and ministry leaders. Must be obedient to the Word of God by giving the tithes and offerings.
4. The forth responsibility is to the society. - A chaplain must pursue peaceful relationship with his community, continue to maintain a good testimony and set a good example. This includes your responsibilities on the job and anywhere he/she visits.
5. The fifth responsibility is the government and the laws. - A chaplain must obey the laws of his city, state and federal government. He/she must also obey the rules and regulations of any institution he or she visits.
The Chaplain as a Professional:
As a servant of God a chaplain is also a counselor who combines theology and psychology.
What is Pastoral Counseling: an expression of the love of God through service that is an extension of the local church. A person's sense of the presence or absence of God is an important part of overall health.
A pastoral counselor - works with all persons and performs services to the sick, needy, and imprisoned without imposing his or her personal theology on the individual.
A Pastoral counselor - believes that human beings are created in the image of God as unique individuals with dignity.
A Pastoral counselor - values the his or her personal, professional and gifts
A Pastoral counselor - models him/herself after the Great Shepherd Jesus Christ
A Pastoral counselor - is committed to providing the best spiritual care possible A Pastoral
counselor - is routed in the Word of God
A pastoral counselor - has a personal relationship with God